- City Clerk
- Public Records Request
Public Records Request
On January 1, 2017 a new Public Record law went into effect changing the way in which municipalities process public records requests.
Additional information on the new Public Records law available on the Secretary of the Commonwealth’s website: Commonwealth Pre-Notice
While it is recommended that requests be made electronically through our Request Management System, requests made in writing, email, or orally are still accepted. The process for making a public records request is as follows:
- The Requestor submits a public records request electronically (recommended), by email, in writing, or orally. Telephone requests may be accepted at the discretion of the Records Access Officer (RAO) (950 CMR 32.06(1)).
- The RAO receives the public records request and provides a response within 10 business days. Business days do not include Saturdays, Sundays, legal holidays, or other weekdays where a custodian’s office is closed unexpectedly (950 CMR 32.02).
- The RAO provides a detailed, written, good-faith estimate for the cost of complying with the public records request. This estimate will include the cost of copies, as well as the time spent for research in excess of two hours (950 CMR 32.07(m)).
- The Requestor pays the estimated costs.
- The RAO compiles the records and sends them, preferably in electronic format, to the Requestor.
- The public records request is complete.
- $0.05 for an 8 ½ x 11 black and white copy, single or double sided
- $0.10 for an 8 ½ x 11 color copy, single or double sided
- $5.00 for a 16GB Flash Drive
- $3.00 for large format black and white reproductions (generally plans or maps)
- $6.00 for large format color reproductions (generally plans or maps)
An estimate will be given ahead of time for anything not covered above. The City reserves the right to send oversized documents, i.e., plans, to an outside vendor. The final bill will be provided and the cost will be assumed by the Requestor.
Continue to NextRequest, Gloucester’s Online Record Request Portal.
If you are requesting a vital record, please complete the Vital Records Request Application. At this time, electronic requests are not accepted.
Submitting a Request:
- Submit electronically by visiting our Record Request Portal (NextRequest)
- Submit in person by visiting either the City Clerks Office or the specific department during business hours.
- Submit in writing via the Mail:
City Clerk’s Office
Public Records Request
9 Dale Avenue
Gloucester, MA 01930