Permits, Licenses, and Forms

City Clerk-License Forms.png

Business Certificates a/k/a DBA Certificates

Find more information on filing a business certificate in the City of Gloucester.

City Council Special Permits (SCPs)

Under the Gloucester Zoning Code, the City Council Special Permit is a special permit granting authority for a variety of projects regulated by the Zoning Ordinance. Permits granted can range from major projects such as shopping centers to specialized projects such as assisted living facilities and can also include small projects by an individual such as a dock to an individual’s residence.

All applications for City Council Special Permits must be approved as complete and filed with the office of the City Clerk by the end of business hours (4:00 PM) on the Wednesday before the next City Council Meeting.

City Council Special Permit

City Council Special Permit (SCP) Timeline

Hawkers & Peddlers License

A Hawkers & Peddlers License application must go before the Licensing Commission for approval. The cost of a license is $100.00 and runs from the date of issuance to March 1.  Hawkers and Peddlers are prohibited from some city streets as listed in the Code of Ordinances, Chapter 11.

Hawkers & Peddlers License Application

Raffle Permits

Applicants must complete the raffle permit application in its entirety and bring it to the City Clerk’s office along with a copy of the organization’s 501(c)(3) designation and a letter of authorization from the organization giving you permission to fundraise on their behalf. The cost is $25.00.  Do not go directly to the Police Station with your application. 

Application for Permit to Conduct Raffles and Bazaars

Special Events Permits

The Special Events Advisory Committee meets the first Thursday of each month. Meeting dates are subject to change. The City Council Planning and Development Standing Committee must approve all street closures. Applications that require street closures should be filed at least eight weeks in advance of the event. 

The following fees will be charged: $50.00 for for-profit organizations.  $25.00 for not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) organizations. Non-profit organizations must submit their 501(c)(3) form with the application.

Special Events Application 

Taxicab/Private Livery Driver Application

Applicants for a license to operate a taxicab or private livery vehicle must bring a completed form and a current driver’s license to the City Clerk’s office. 

The cost of the license is $50.00 (payable at the time of issuance) and is valid from the date of issuance until December 30th of the current year.

Taxicab/Private Livery Driver Application (PDF)

Transient Vendor Permits

Vendors wishing to vend at one-time events (such as the annual Sidewalk Bazaar) must purchase a Transient Vendor License from the City of Gloucester in order to sell.

Vendors must contact the organizer of each event to secure placement as a vendor. Once the Transient Vendor application has been filled out by the vendor, the application must be turned in to the event organizer, who will then obtain the required sign-offs from the Police Chief and the City Clerk.

Vendors must contact the Board of Health for any additional licenses that may be required pertaining to food or other activities (such as face painting).

Transient Vendor Permit Application (PDF)

Worker's Permits

Worker’s permits must be completed and returned to the Principal’s office at the Gloucester High School. The City Clerk’s office does not accept/process completed forms.

Worker’s Permit Application