Trash & Recycling
The City of Gloucester offers weekly curbside trash and recycling for single family – multi family (4 apartment max) residences.
- Place trash and recyclables on curb no later than 7:00am
- All trash must be in official City issued trash bags. Trash in any other bag will not be picked up.
- Bags are sold in packets of 5 (some locations sell single bags) at several local convenience and grocery stores:
- Large bags (33 gallons) are $2.25
- Small bags (13 gallons/kitchen size) are $1.25 each
- Bags must be closed and tied
- Closed City-designated bags can be placed curbside either inside or outside of your trash barrel
- Bags and/or barrels cannot weigh more than 50 pounds
- To dispose of an item that does not fit in the purple bag, you will need to purchase a $10 Bulk Item Sticker. Examples of bulk items include furniture, plastic-cased vacuum cleaners, rugs, entertainment centers, toilets. These stickers may be purchased at:
- The Building Center on Harbor Loop
- Department of Public Works (DPW) office on Poplar Street
- Appliances, computer monitors, televisions and dehumidifiers are picked up curbside once a month after a $30.00 sticker has been purchased at the DPW.
- Businesses, non profits and private schools are not eligible for City pick up of trash, recycling, bulk items, and curbside appliance pick up.
EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 1, 2022: Clean mattresses and box springs must be recycled or donated for reuse. Residents can purchase a $40 sticker for each piece (mattress needs one sticker and box spring needs another) at the Department of Public Works. We will provide a mattress bag at the time of purchase for the mattresses only. Bagged mattresses and box springs should be left outside homes on Thursday morning for curbside collection. For more information on this change, please visit: City of Gloucester Shares Information on MassDEP’s New Waste Ban Regulations.
For a complete guide to our trash and recycling program, please see our 2023 Recycling Brochure.
If your trash was missed, please call our current trash hauler:
JRM Hauling & Recycling
(800) 323-4285 or the DPW Office (978) 325-5600
Trash Pick Up Schedule by Street Listing
Not sure when your trash day is? Please view our Trash Pick Up Schedule (PDF).