Our Mission & Accomplishments
The mission of the Council on Aging (COA) Art Program is to connect senior citizens to their community through worthwhile art projects. Our accomplishments include:
- An expansive ceramic mural and quilted tapestries for the Senior Center
- Artwork for downtown empty storefronts
- Multiple banners for the home office of SeniorCare Inc.
- Published illustrations for a children's book
- The creation of decorated clay bowls for the Open Door Food Pantry's Empty Bowl Dinner since the start of this annual fundraiser
Currently, our program is committed to creating large fiber-art banners. These banners are part of our "Community of Neighborhoods" Project which represents many Gloucester neighborhoods through individual banners showing recognizable views of that area. These banners will then be auctioned off to benefit the fundraiser supporting City Hall's Tower Restoration Project.
New to the Art Program will be the hosting of workshops by Cape Ann artists as a way to foster artistic communication among the generations.
The Rose Baker Senior Center Art Program is led by Juni Van Dyke, a graduate of the School of The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston and Tufts University. Juni's work is represented by The Jane Deering Gallery, and exhibitions of her work have been shown at the following: