- Inspectional Services
- Plumbing & Gas Fitting Inspector
Plumbing & Gas Fitting Inspector
Code Enforcement and Responsibilities
All plumbing and gas work performed in the Commonwealth requires a plumbing and/or gas permit. Permits are issued to licensed plumbers and gas fitters only. Codes enforced are 248 CMR Massachusetts Fuel and Plumbing code. National Fuel and Gas Code 54 2012 Edition. 521 Rules and Regulations of the Architectural Access Board pertaining to handicapped toilet facilities. We also assist in variances to the state Plumbing Code.
Responsibilities of the Plumbing and Gas Fitter inspector:
- Enforce the Massachusetts State Plumbing Code 248 CMR, NFPA 54 National Gas Code with Massachusetts modifications
- Review and approve plans for new and renovated buildings
- Enforce proper and adequate toilet facilities for all buildings
- Assist all City Departments relative to any plumbing or gas
- Assist plumbers, gas fitters, contractors, architects, and homeowners pertaining to plumbing and gas regulations
- Issue permits and perform inspections for plumbing and gas fitting
For permits issued by the Plumbing and Gas Fitter Inspector please select the following:
Inspectors are in the office and available to review online permit submissions, and answer questions:
- Monday through Friday
8:30 am to 9:30 am by appointment
- Monday through Thursday
1:00 pm to 2:00 pm by appointment
Anyone traveling a considerable distance should call first to confirm the availability of an inspector.
Each code is unique and is derived from Massachusetts General Laws and/or City Ordinances. All are designed for public protection and to ensure the health and safety of citizens.