Snow Shoveling Tips
* When shoveling, start slow and continue at a slow pace (Suggestion: shovel for 5-7 minutes and rest 2-3 minutes). Shoveling snow is a strenuous activity that is very stressful on the heart.
* Shovel early and often; new snow is lighter than heavily packed/partially melted snow. Take frequent breaks. Always try to push snow rather than lifting it.
* Protect your back by lifting properly and safely:
1. Stand with feet at hip width for balance
2. Hold the shovel close to your body
3. Space hands apart to increase leverage
4. Bend from your knees, not your back
5. Tighten your stomach muscles while lifting
6. Avoid twisting while lifting
7. Walk to dump snow rather than throwing it
8. When snow is deep, shovel small amounts
* If you are physically unable to shovel your property, consider hiring a student or using volunteer services